The Painswick Centre started life back in 1907 as The Painswick Working Men’s Club and Institute, the land and buildings being donated to the community by Frances Sarah Williams, wife of philanthropist and chemist, James Dyson Perrins of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce fame.
The original building, designed by William Curtis Green, included a club and billiard rooms, library, kitchen, larder store and separate concert hall with stage, green room, dressing rooms and a rifle range. Much of the original fitments and furnishings were the work of well-known members of the Arts and Crafts movement, including Charles Ashbee, Ernest Gimson and Charles Gere.
Frances Williams died in 1918 aged 91 and is buried in Painswick Cemetery, but her legacy has lived on for over 100 years with today’s centre providing a venue for entertainment, community events, meetings and activities. It is managed by a group of Trustees and Friends committed to building on Frances’ work.